Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Switched at Birth

There's a real life Switched at Birth.  Unlike the TV show, there didn't seem to be a huge blow up when the girls found out.  These girls are now best friends and have opted to stay with the mothers that raised them.  Like the TV show, they found out because one of the father's wanted to leave his wife because his daughter didn't look like her.  After the divorce and DNA test, they found out that he was right.

The one thing the show mentioned, and these girls had to deal with, was what do they do now that they have another family.  The show addressed it in a way that made sense to me - something was missing for one of the girl's.  Beyond not looking like her red headed family, she also didn't fit in.  She was dark haired, dark eyes, stubborn, and an artist.  She didn't seem to fit into her people pleasing, pale, athletic family.  So, I think when she found her mom, she found a piece of herself.  I wonder if these girls ever felt like something was missing.  Like their mother couldn't quite fill a hole in their heart.  I wonder if just knowing that mistake was made is enough for them to kinda shrug it off and move on - to be the one that doesn't quite look like the rest in the family photo.  I'm curious what will happen when the girls are 16, marry, have a first child, etc.  I just hope everything resolves itself ok.


Real Life Disney Princesses


In theory, this seemed like a great concept.  What would the disney princesses look like in real life?  Some are great and some are horrendous.  Jasmine has that sultry look to her face, exactly what I would imagine a real life Jasmine to have.  Esmeralda also looks as stunning as I would have guessed.  That typical confidence in her eyes of most girls of such beauty.



But then you get to the other ones.  Sleeping Beauty - eww.  Where did those cheekbones come from?  The most realistic thing about her is her hair.  Pocahantas doesn't look as I imagined.  Not sure what it is about her.  This Belle does not look belle/beautiful at all!  Maybe it's the facial expression they chose to give her.  I always imagined Belle as that pretty girl that you can still be friends with.  Ariel looks 12.  She reminds me of a little kid, maybe it's the little girl in the sunblock commercials with the dog biting her underwear a few years later.  I knew Ariel was young but I didn't think she would look this young. If anything, she'd be that "16 year old who looks 21."

And Ursula.  Well, not much needs to be said there.

It was a really interesting concept.  Maybe part of my problem for all the non-Jasmine and Esmeralda pictures is that they all look far too Photoshopped.  I thought it was supposed to be altered to look real.  Instead it just went from cartoon form to ... a different kind of cartoon (I see it most in Ariel).  Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment